Dec. 28 2008
Lew interviews Dr. John McDougall, listen to the show here.
- Dr. McDougall’s web site.
- Discussion of multi-billion $ heart business.
- Typical hospital (80% of income from treating heart disease), huge financial incentives.
- 9 out of 10 studies on angioplasty treatment show no improvement in survival.
- 3 major studies on bypass that show no improvement in survival except in small subgroups.
- Same for some drugs like statins.
- Some want statins in our drinking water!
- Some want statins for school children!
- Artery disease (and diabetes) are serious problems in U.S. but answer is not drugs.
- Diet is the answer.
- Discussion of bypass surgery.
- Connection to heart bypass machine can cause measurable brain damage, called “pump head” by the nurses. Memory loss. 42% people after 5 years showed some deficit in mental abilities.
- Bypass can cost 80K to 500K and evidence suggest most do not benefit from longer lives as a result in comparison to those that use drugs.
- Discussion of effects of bypass surgery on Bill Clinton.
- Coronary artery disease is a result of the western diet.
Dec. 28 2008
Bob Higgs says…
“I have never been inclined toward touting doomsday financial scenarios. I raise the possibility now only because, as I consider the situation portrayed in the graph of excess reserves linked above, I am unable to foresee how the Fed and the Treasury can navigate through these treacherous waters – waters that their own previous actions have whipped to a foam – without creating terrible financial and economic harm. If the dollar survives the ministrations of Bernanke, Paulson, Bush, and the Obama gang, its survival will be something of a miracle.”
Read the rest here.
Dec. 10 2008
“Ben Sasser, the Assistant Secretary of Health, just announced that the projections for Medicare Part A funding were wrong. The Department figured out last week that Part A funding will be no longer prior to the end of Obama’s second term. What does this mean? In 2016, a hospital will submit a bill to Medicare and Medicare will simply have no money to pay. This is all within the next 8 years folks. Get ready for some serious problems.” – Source – Jay Parkinson
Dec. 05 2008
Scott P. Richert in Chronicles
“Those who claim his mantle today, however, are not simply ideologues on free trade; they have become convinced that money can breed money—and, moreover, that it’s a good thing for it to do so. The only kind of manufacturing they want is the manufacturing of ever-higher stock prices.”
Dec. 04 2008
Will we see you at the SAICFF? The Growing Pains guy is going to be there. If your wife is in her early 30’s, like mine, this might be the cause of great excitement (not saying it is or isn’t around here). We went last year, it was fun. I get free room and board at Mom and Dad’s so it is also affordable.