Lew interviews Dr. John McDougall, listen to the show here.
- Dr. McDougall’s web site.
- Discussion of multi-billion $ heart business.
- Typical hospital (80% of income from treating heart disease), huge financial incentives.
- 9 out of 10 studies on angioplasty treatment show no improvement in survival.
- 3 major studies on bypass that show no improvement in survival except in small subgroups.
- Same for some drugs like statins.
- Some want statins in our drinking water!
- Some want statins for school children!
- Artery disease (and diabetes) are serious problems in U.S. but answer is not drugs.
- Diet is the answer.
- Discussion of bypass surgery.
- Connection to heart bypass machine can cause measurable brain damage, called “pump head” by the nurses. Memory loss. 42% people after 5 years showed some deficit in mental abilities.
- Bypass can cost 80K to 500K and evidence suggest most do not benefit from longer lives as a result in comparison to those that use drugs.
- Discussion of effects of bypass surgery on Bill Clinton.
- Coronary artery disease is a result of the western diet.